Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Internet Television - Busy Times in Canada

June has been a busy month in Canada for VOD, with both Shaw Communications and Videotron recently launching online portals for viewing television programs. This is the local version of TV Everywhere, and it's clear that the cablecos feel the time is right now. Consumer viewing habits are changing, and if they don't offer an online complement to cable TV, they risk losing revenues and even subscribers. I'm sure the telcos are smiling, as the cablecos finally have something to worry about that's comparable to all the threats they've been living with these days.

I've written my take on this for my latest Service Provider Views column, which is running now on TMCnet. Give it a read, and let me know what you think.

No comments: